Traditional LASIK surgery has proven to be successful for numerous patients. Continued advances have enabled eye doctors to offer customized LASIK, leading more patients to correct their vision through LASIK eye surgery. Here at our Monterey eye care center, we have improved the vision of many of our patients by performing LASIK surgery. While the skill and experience of our doctors is vital in a successful surgical outcome, it is equally important that our patients follow all of the pre-operative instructions that are provided at the initial surgical consultation. Patients who are scheduled for or those who are considering LASIK at our practice in Monterey should read on to learn about the preoperative LASIK instructions we ask our patients to follow.
In the Weeks Before Surgery
Preparation for LASIK surgery will start several weeks before the scheduled date of the procedure. In the weeks leading up to surgery, we ask that our patients prepare themselves in the following ways:
- Become informed on the LASIK procedure: Our doctors are here to explain the LASIK procedure and answer any questions you may have. Read all the material provided and speak up at your surgical consultation. There should be open communication between our doctors and our patients so that no questions go unanswered. Knowing what to expect the day of surgery is the first step in preparing for LASIK.
- Cease the use of contact lenses: Those patients who wear contact lenses to correct the vision will need to stop doing so in the days and weeks leading up to surgery. Patients who wear soft lens contacts will need to remove them at least a week prior to surgery and those who wear toric lenses should remove those two to three weeks before LASIK.
The Day of Surgery
Our doctors want our Monterey LASIK patients to be relaxed and prepared on the day of surgery. Although the LASIK surgery is quick, between preparation and the procedure, patients may be at our offices for a couple of hours. Following the instructions below will ensure that patients are in a good physical and mental condition to undergo LASIK surgery, thus setting the stage for a successful procedure.
- Dress in comfortable clothing the day of the procedure.
- Refrain from putting on any make-up, perfume, cologne, or lotions, especially on the face.
- Stay hydrated and eat a light meal before arrival.
- Pick up any prescribed medication before arriving for your procedure so that you can begin using eye drops as soon as necessary following LASIK.
- Have a companion bring you to your appointment and arrange for pick-up after the procedure.
- Arrive for your appointment on time with proper identification and any necessary paperwork.
Schedule an Appointment
If you are tired of relying on glasses or contact lenses for clear vision, consider LASIK surgery at Monterey County Eye Associates. Schedule an appointment with one of our skilled doctors to learn more about what to expect before, during, and after LASIK eye surgery. We look forward to working with you!