Getting Through LASIK Recovery
For many of our patients who suffer from nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism, LASIK eye surgery can be performed to correct vision impairment. As LASIK technology continues to advance, this procedure grows in popularity. The ophthalmologists at our Monterey eye care center have years of experience in using the ophthalmologic laser to reshape the cornea and vastly improve a patient’s vision. This is an outpatient procedure that involves little to no “down” time for our patients. However, in order to ensure the success of the surgery, there are some steps that should be taken during recovery, as well as some tips that can help patients get through the LASIK recovery process with little discomfort and a reduced risk of complications.
At our practice in Monterey, LASIK is a routine procedure that is typically complete in as little as 15 minutes. Patients will be released to go home as soon as the procedure is complete, but they will need to be driven home, as their vision may be blurry. The most important step our patients can take to ensure the success of the surgery, as well as a quick and smooth recovery, is to follow the post-operative care instructions given by our doctors. Following these steps will help ease any discomfort and ensure that the eyes are given the time to heal properly.
- Give your eyes time to rest after surgery. Although you will be able to return home immediately, you should plan to rest upon your return. We advise that our patients try to sleep or keep their eyes closed for at least two hours after surgery. Patients should also avoid reading, watching TV, or going on the computer for 24 hours after surgery so that the eyes are not strained.
- Use the prescribed medication as well as moisturizing eye drops. These drops will help relieve dryness and discomfort as well as prevent infection.
- Wear protective eye goggles for up to two weeks following LASIK surgery. It is especially important to wear these while sleeping to avoid inadvertently rubbing or scratching the eyes. If the eyes are injured during recovery, the results of LASIK may be compromised.
- Avoid sun exposure. The eyes will likely be sensitive following LASIK, so patients should protect the eyes from the sun or bright light. If possible, avoid exposure to the sun. When that is not possible, dark sunglasses should be worn to protect against the harsh glare of the sun.
- Avoid playing sports for at least six weeks after surgery. It is extremely important to avoid damage or injury to the eyes during recovery. The risk for injury in sports may actually be increased during this initial phase of recovery as the eyes and vision are adjusting. Even water sports should be avoided for at least one month after surgery.
- Keep any scheduled follow up appointments with our doctors. It is important that our doctors are able to monitor recovery and look for any signs of complication.
When all of these steps are taken and proper care is given, LASIK recovery should be a smooth and quick process.
Schedule an Appointment
At Monterey County Eye Associates, we provide a full spectrum of eye care. We provide our patients with routine eye exams, custom contact lenses, LASIK surgery, and much more. To learn more about these services, schedule an appointment with one of our doctors at your earliest convenience.